Secrets of High John the Conqueror
If you treat High John like a Plant TEACHER – not just an “ingredient” – and are sensitive to such things, you will most likely discover in time that he is opinionated and can talk – not audibly, but as a common-sense voice in your head you can make out if you create the space for it. Here are a few hoodoo secrets of High John the Conqueror:
- Like a lot of spirits, High John has a higher purpose and a lower purpose. One of his best-known lower purposes is the stuff you see described a lot of online spells – to command or even control people. Which he can do, of course – for example, if you get a hair from someone’s head and wrap it around a High John root, you can even boss them around a little bit. John doesn’t really like going that route though – it makes him feel like a “slave master” and puts him in conflict with his higher purpose, which is to FREE people. You’re always much better off working to improve and strengthen yourself, than you are trying to control other people anyway.
- John really does think that most everything about us humans, and the whole of our situation, is frankly hilarious, and is in a state of near-perpetual, almost breathless laughter unto tears over the absurdity of it all.
- A lot of root workers on the internet recommend using green candles for money, purple for power, and red for sex when working with John, but actually High John can work powerfully with every single color there is (according to the typical magic candle symbolism – blue for healing, white for peace, black for banishing, etc). You can even get a 7-color 7-day candle, “clean” yourself with it, dress it with High John and Blockbuster oil on it, and ask High John to unblock and balance your chakras, and he’ll do it! I’m not joking!!!
- John would 100x times rather see you make a decision and commit to following through with action, than sit around lighting candles and praying to him all day.
- Be careful when lighting red candles to John, there’s a balance to everything, and if a little “hot” energy is good, more isn’t always better – an excess can literally make you so angry that you’ll have a hard time concentrating and you can even get a skin rash if you overdo it.
- The standard hoodoo method of bringing a root to life by rapping it on a table 3x, spraying it with whiskey and fumigating it in incense, crossing it over a dressed candle and telling it it’s purpose is fine, but John can actually do most anything a person could need and then some – so if you really want to liven him up, try drilling a hole in large root, inserting a mercury tilt switch and sealing that back up with a little beeswax. Shazam!
- In fact, if you want to go the extra mile, you can even get some cheap glass “evil eye” beads, or cowrie shells and give your root eyes – you might be surprised to see who looks back at you!
- If you really need something done, set out 7 glass-enclosed 7-day candles for John (instead of just one) on a consecrated High John Flag and try giving him a few raw eggs for fuel – whiskey and incense are fine offerings, but when John is really working up a sweat making things happen, just a little of the kind of life force that eggs contain goes a long way.
- An elegant alternative to canned “self-lighting” hoodoo incenses that High John really likes are “Nippon Kodo” brand joss sticks – try using Myrrh, Cinnamon, Rose, Patchouli and Vanilla together.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with non-standard ingredients in your mojo bags. Rattlesnakes and raccoons are both native to the Americas, so add some vertebrae or some claws; try using a deerskin pouch instead of a red cotton bag, or a peep show token instead of dime.
- John always likes to have a little money on him – when he was alive, he had to work without getting paid, and he’s still pissed off about it.
- You can made a kick-ass High John magical bath soap by adding Myrrh, Cinnamon, Rose, Patchouli and Vanilla essential oils to a 32 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap, along with a 7 or so small High John roots and a stick of cinnamon.
- Nothing makes John laugh harder than watching an arrogant blowhard get brought crashing back down to the earth with the rest of us.